Thursday, August 22, 2013

A letter to my son


I started writing this well before the bub was about to turn 2. I kept choking up and having trouble finding the words to say. I just can't believe how much changes in the blink of an eye.

To my sweet boy,

I never knew how much my heart could ache for someone until I had you. The way you smile and laugh makes me believe that there really is a light at the end of every tunnel. The amount of love you show the world is contagious. I know you're going to grow up to do great things some day, and I'm so excited to see what those things will be. However, I find myself wishing time would stand still so I could just enjoy every minute. People don't lie when they tell you that time flies. Some days I can't even remember what happened that day, because I blink and you're already being tucked into bed.

The journey for you to be in my arms was a tough one, but I'd do it all again, knowing what lies ahead. I'll never forget the first time they wheeled me up to the NICU to see you for the first time. Your daddy's smile melted my heart almost as much as your beautiful baby blues. He was so proud to be a dad, so much that he was willing to wake up every 2 hours to bring you my pumped milk from our hospital room and spend a few quiet moments with just the two of you.

You make our lives so much greater than I thought they could be. Here I was in disbelief that a child could change things so much, but you really do. I hope some day you realize that all the things I've told you have been for your own good. It took me a very long time to realize that about my own parents, but all in good time my love.

Be courageous, be smart, be silly, and be strong. You never know what life is going to throw your way, but when all else fails, put on a helmet and dive in head first. Trust your gut and stand up for what you believe in.

You are my everything, and I love you more than words will ever be able to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment