Tuesday, May 14, 2013

New Ink

I finally did it. I've been thinking about it and planning it since that horrible day almost 2 years ago. I got my very first tattoo, in memory of my Kirra.
Why yes she is covered in mud. Thank you for noticing how awesome it is to have long haired dogs on a rainy day.
She was one of the twins that the hubs and I got when we first moved in together. On July 16, 2011, she passed away, in my arms on the way to the vet's office. I was devastated. I've never felt so much grief in my life, and there have been people close to me that I've lost. There's something about losing your first furbaby that just aches in your heart and never goes away. There's just a piece missing, not to mention we still have her brother, who just seems lonely all the time, even though he still has other fur siblings. I feel for him. My heart aches for him.

But enough with the depressing stuff. I've been there and done that for almost 2 years now. I want to remember her in all her wonderful glory of goofiness. Here's the new ink:

This is honestly right after it was done, and apparently I'm a bleeder, because it was a mess not long after this. I love it.

The paw print was done by the vet after she died, unbeknownst to me. I was so grateful that they sent it to me. Is it weird I never got ink prints of my child's feet but I have one of my dog's? We'll just leave that question alone for now.

Kirra was actually named after the surfing company. When we were picking names, the hubs had a sweatshirt laying around, and when I read the logo on the back, it stuck. The flowers represent the Hawaiian, surfy, beachy feel. And yes, our tattoo artist was very thrown with making things "beachy". I think he captured it quite well, even though he doesn't realize it.

Big shoutout to Lucky's Tattoo and Piercing in Northampton. Justin did an amazing job if anyone is looking for somewhere to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment